Thursday 2 February 2023

Why Pathfinder 1E?


So for this campaign setting I am going with Pathfinder 1E, published by Paizo. The main reason for this is that I have the essential rulebooks (Core Rulebook + Bestiary 1 & 2). 

I have only played Pathfinder a few times but I am much more familiar with D&D 3E/3.5E, which I have even more books for. So why not go with D&D 3E/3.5E? This is because of the upset Wizards of the Coast has caused to the community by messing around with the OGL, trying to withdraw the previous version and impose a far tighter license that, despite the name (Open Game License) really isn't open at all. Although it isn't much, this blog is my show of solidarity with those who have relied on the (old) OGL to publish their games and adventures. There is also the fact that Pathfinder 1E is close enough to D&D 3E that I don't feel I am learning a whole new set of rules, rather simply an update to rules I already know enough about. In fact I am including a copy of the OGL v1.0a as a page on this blog - I believe the OGL v1.0a can be applied just as much to blogs as to books and PDFs. 

Incidentally, this campaign setting, the City-States of Sorqos, has had a history of several different rules sets - to start with it was created with Castles & Crusades (published by Troll Lord Games) in mind. I then vacilated between D&D 3.0 and an attempt at a systems-neutral setting. It then got put on the backburner for a few years while other projects took priority. But now seems like a good time to bring it out of the dusty corners of my computer hard drive and let other people take a look at it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mithros the Law-giver, the Sun Lord

Mithros As the Lawful Good god of rulership, justice and wisdom, Mithros is popular among upright, respectable folk, including well-intentio...